Thread: Fake MSD boxes, becoming a problem

Default Fake MSD boxes, becoming a problem

MSD tech bulletin:

Just came accross my desk that their are Counterfeit MSD 6AL boxes. The easiest way to tell is all of them have the serial number 682013. Here are some other tell tale signs:

All REAL MSD boxes have torx head screws, the counterfeits have phillips.

All REAL MSD boxes heat fins should measure no more then .150", the counterfeits vary and are larger.

All REAL MSD boxes on the end the mag input is on the left and tach output is on the right, the counterfeits are reversed.

These are in packaging that look like MSD and it is hard to tell. Please beware of a "DEAL" on these items.

This does not pertain to the Pro Comp stuff from a few years back, my letter from MSD is dated Sept 14, 2011. MSD has received several of these back for warranty work. The copies are that good.

Credited to:
    Chris Straub
    Performance Mfg.

What was the deal with ProComp, yes I bought one........ Its on a street/strip car that rarely gets ran.
    Should I look out the window before I answer the door?

All ProComp stuff is KNOWN to FAIL in short time periods.

Look at this link: this China company don't even hide they are ripping off MSD.

http://www.cnbkc.com/

Just a little research pulled up this:

Procomp box insides:22072011059.jpg
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 09-27-2011 at 09:19 PM.

wHAT DOES THE TOP SIDE OF ONE OF THESE BOXES LOOK LIKE?

Sorry, this may be confusing people

The original post was about MSD boxes that look 100% legit, except for the things Listed in original post. These are fakes that are being sold as actual MSD units. It became aware to MSD as they were being sent in as repairs or warranty, evidently they have seen enough of them to send out warnings about these units out there.

The picture I listed was (I believe this to be right, didn't research it that well) was a Procomp box they were selling as their own Ignition box. I don't believe it had any marking on it as trying to pass it off as an MSD box, but marketed as a cheaper ignition box.