Thread: Need a little help from anyone / late model or sprint guys!

Question Need a little help from anyone / late model or sprint guys!

I know a young man in my town who is a future racer. He purchased a used sprint roller out of Pa. to run in the entry level class at a local track. He recently graduated from one of the auto trade schools and his racing background is in karting. He is determined to do all the work that he possibly can on the car. However the engine rules are so exact with zero tolerance that he has become gun shy on attempting to do anything in the engine department. I looked at the rules and I thought geez! I had to agree with him that he would be better of having a reputable engine builder do his engine.Take a look at the rules for the engine and tell me what you think. Can there be extra power found with these resrictions? Would they be found in meeting their strict tolerances or by using higher grade of parts or both?
    Oh yeh I did find out that the heads are Brodix.

RaceSaver® 305 SPEC ENGINE RULES:

Blocks, GM 305 V-8s w/ approved casting #’s: 361979, 460776, 460777, 460778, 14010201,14010202, 14010203 , 14088551, 14016381, 355909.
    Max C.I. 315.9 No Tolerance. Stroke 3.480 + - .020. Max. bore 3.801 Do the math!

Flat top pistons with valve reliefs, Cannot protrude from cylinder bore.

Crank, iron or steel, min. weight 48 lbs. 1% tolerance, min. main brg. dia. 2.450-.030.

5.7” steel rods, min. rod journal dia. 2.100 -.030. Oil pan inspection hole to view rods.

Cam drive: Chain only. No gear or belt drives. No device to vary running cam timing.

Steel hub or SFI approved damper. Stock location water pump.

Stock (.842) dia. flat tappets. NO roller, hydraulic, mushroom or radius tappets.
    No hard face overlay cams. Original cam configuration & firing order (18436572)

Spring specs: Only straight wound springs w/flat damper. Max dia.1.265”, min. dia. 1.200, Installed ht. minimum 1.650, max I.H. 1.825.Absolute max.pressures: @ seat 120#, @ .500 lift 355#, max. wire dia..195, Max. free ht. 2.100, min. free ht. 1.900. Spring must have min. of 5 full coils.

Wet sump, internal pump only, no crankcase vacuum systems.

Roller rockers allowed. 3/8” stud mount rockers only. NO shaft systems.
    Absolute max. valve lift: (.510” int., .535” exh.) measured @ zero lash @ valve retainer.

No girdles, rev kits, or valve train stabilizers. Tappet access for inspection required.

No repositioning, boring or bushing of cam or lifter bores. Max cam dia.1.869 + .002

Valves: Int. 1.94”, exh. 1.60”, Stem 11/32”, orig. length & weight, No altered or hollow stems.

Ferrous material only: Valves, Retainers, Keepers, Push rods, Springs, Tappets, Cam and cam drives, Crank, Rods, Wrist pins, Fasteners, Main Caps, No titanium or ceramics in engine.

Point type Magnetos, or Kettering style ignition. Constant flow fuel injection only.

100 lb. wt. penalty for use of any electronic components, incl: ignition, ECU’s or driver aids.

RACESAVER® 305 SPEC head: Absolutely NO changes. NO machining, milling, resurfacing, grinding, polishing, welding, acid or caustic work, shot peening, glass beading, coating, or any other process that will alter the machined surfaces or the natural sand cast finish. Must retain all original dimensions & configurations including; Valves, springs, retainers, stems, & guides. The ONLY work allowed is: Reseating the valves. NO top cuts that extend into the aluminum of the chamber. NO, under the seat relief cuts. NO work that enlarges the as delivered throat size, 1.810 Int. & 1.345 Ex. (+ or - .010). NO bowl changes.Every dimension of these heads has a gauge dimension that must be met for them to be certified. Change any one of them and you will be disqualified. The stamped identification marks may not be altered.
    Compression Ratio: 10.25 to 1 absolute maximum. C.R. checked w/ Whistle, or by pouring the assembled cylinder. Absolute minimum assembled cylinder volume: 70 cc. Heads may NOT be milled !!! Only exception is pre- approved milling to repair surface. All repairs MUST be pre-approved. Contact RACESAVER® 305 SPEC @ 540-923-4541 before attempting repairs. A repair authorization number will be issued. After repair, heads must be recertified and marked accordingly. Original serial numbers and certification marks must be intact. They may not be altered or obscured. Any & all repairs MUST be pre-approved and heads recertified. If any spec head is found to be modified; it must be REPLACED with a certified spec head.

The spirit and intent of the RACESAVER® 305 SPEC Engine Rules will prevail. Any attempt to circumvent the rules will result in confiscation of suspect parts, and other significant penalties. We reserve the right to exchange any Spec Head at any time. If heads are illegal, NO exchange will be made. Illegal heads will be restamped as “ILLEGAL”.

yes tell me any kind of help

http://www.fakemailgenerator.com/

now you can read all about this