Thread: Bert, Brinn or Falcon transmission

Default Bert, Brinn or Falcon transmission

I'll be shopping for a Bert, Brinn or Falcon transmission this coming winter. I looking at swap meets and end of year sell offs. I don't have a preference yet but Falcons and Berts are first on my list because they are the same length as my Saginaw.

Are the bells for all three interchangeable? Are the starter gears/drive hubs proprietary? On the starter mounts that require the reverse rotation starter motors, Isn't there a brand that has an idler gear so a standard rotation fits(stock style straight pattern mounts) or do they all require the reverse rotation motor? Anything well known to stay away from like weak bells or maybe even repaired ones? Are the Quarter Master bells any better for the added cost? I will not by a ball spline BTW.

All we have ever run is Brinn and Brinn bells and have had 0 problems in 10+ years. I cant comment driectly on the others but you will hear people complain about berts and falcons for one reason or another, but rarely if ever hear anything about a Brinn, whcih is why they usually sell for a little more as well.

Im pretty sure the bert and Brinn will interchange on each others bell but dont know about the falcon. But you need to keep everything in the bell matching, brinn fllywheel to brinn idler to brinn bell etc. I think the older Berts had trouble with bells cracking but I think maybe they fixed that, dont hold me to it though.

They all take a reverse mount starter, not reverse rotation, they bolt in from the back instead of through the bottom, (bolts are horizontal). In fact you can go to parts store and get a Toyota starter and will work if you have a lower compression engine.

OK, Reverse Mount, I got it.

Do you have to use their respective bells or will a stock bell work using a block mount starter and flexplate like the triple disk clutches?
    Last edited by Lizardracing; 08-23-2010 at 09:10 PM.

I think with all three you can use a stock bell, they make a coupler without the ring gear that bolts on top of the flexplate. In IMCA i belevie if you run a Bert Brinn etc, you have to run a steel bell with block mount starter anyway. Im pretty sure a brinn and bert can use the same coupler, but a falcon is different.

Thanks Man!

I race at Lake Ozark Speedway In Eldon, Mo. UMP

Anything is better than what I have right now. Lightened 3 Speed, triple disk, and Lakewood Steel bell left over from a lower class I race last year.

had a few bert trans and then i got a brinn and i think it is a better trans. Shifts so much smoother. my .02

you can do the same with a falcon too , i use to do it before i went to dry sump.....

I bought a Falcon for $100. Guy said it had new clutches but it jumped outa gear last time he raced it. I took it apart and it looked really good except for a chipped tooth on the input shaft gear(low gear) and whoever put helicoils in in the cover threads really screwed them up. I'm pretty sure the tang on the heli was left in the tranny and it got caught between the gears. I might be able to smooth it over with deburrs cause the chip is right in the middle of the tooth so it'll still work but I need a crack check it before I waste time doing that. The heli's I'm pulling out and machining for 5/8 steel inserts and then studs instead of the cover bolts. Just by looking at the design I bet the shifting problems come from dirt and adjustments of the detents mostly. I bet they get over tightened a lot. The dog clutch teeth need a chamfer to help with engagement. I'll try cutting a bigger bevel on the teeth and see if that makes it easier to get in gear. Because of the square cut on the teeth I bet a lot of folks are trying to ease into high gear to prevent the grinding instead of a quick jab. With 2.4 low gear quite a bit RPM is needed to get the momentum going to match the gear speeds. A little work on this thing and it's gonna be a good deal I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardracing View Post
    I'll be shopping for a Bert, Brinn or Falcon used transmissions this coming winter. I looking at swap meets and end of year sell offs. I don't have a preference yet but Falcons and Berts are first on my list because they are the same length as my Saginaw.

Are the bells for all three interchangeable? Are the starter gears/drive hubs proprietary? On the starter mounts that require the reverse rotation starter motors, Isn't there a brand that has an idler gear so a standard rotation fits(stock style straight pattern mounts) or do they all require the reverse rotation motor? Anything well known to stay away from like weak bells or maybe even repaired ones? Are the Quarter Master bells any better for the added cost? I will not by a ball spline BTW.
    how come you done like the ball splines aside from the obvious reasons?

I can't afford a carbon fiber driveshaft. Simple a that.