Thread: Straight Bar

Default Straight Bar

Has anyone had any success runing straight panhard bar to Left Side on a 4-bar Rocket. If so what changes are involved,if any. As in length of bar and amount of split. Also any changes in bars,shocks,and wheel weights. Any suggestions or advice,or OPINIONS welcome. THANX IN ADVANCE.

Quote Originally Posted by RIDGERACER View Post
    Has anyone had any success runing straight panhard bar to Left Side on a 4-bar Rocket. If so what changes are involved,if any. As in length of bar and amount of split. Also any changes in bars,shocks,and wheel weights. Any suggestions or advice,or OPINIONS welcome. THANX IN ADVANCE.

Yep... Had some success one night in getting the car back into the trailer with one after a bad night. Took it off and threw it in the trash as soon as we got the car unloaded at the shop...

Straight bars are best used on tight stop and go type tracks. It will make the car much looser off the gas, but much tighter on the gas. The car will be much more erratic vs. running a j-bar. If you are good at trail-braking, then you should be able to control that some.

If you are thinking of putting one on to help get the car to roll up, then you are doing so for the wrong reason in my opinion. If the car won't roll up, 9 times out of 10 it is because the car is already too tight.

RB

Thanks RB for your info. The reason i am considering trying the straight bar is to possibly match my driving style.??? The car rolls ok maybe too much. One of the tracks i race at is stop-n-go. A few years ago Billy Moyer won a big race with a straight bar on a mastersbuilt at this racetrack. The only thing i could get out of him was "you might want to try it". (Last year) If i were going to try it ,what kind of length eye to eye and how much split would i start with.???? THANX IN ADVANCE.

RB would you say running the straight bar mounted to left side of the rear will give you more traction to the LR on the throttle on corner exit.

Generally speaking shoot for a long as you can get with in reason. Use the outside of the frame if you are using the inside of the frame with a j-bar. If the car is built for the j-bar on the outside frame then you may want to get an extended frame mount. Generally I like to see the straight bar no shorter then 3" of the j-bar you normally use, if possible.

Example a car that has a 19" ish j-bar on the inside will be around 17.5" with the straight bar on the outside of frame to the left side of the pinion mount.

A basic starting point is about 6.5" to 7.5" up on frame and 1/2" above center of pinion. A Rocket seems to like less j-bar angle so it may need less on the straight bar also, but thats a basic starting place.

Yes, typically it will have better forward bite.

I said before it is usually a Hero or Zero deal on most general tracks, there are times and places for it (some that even require it) but in general we stay away from it. Fiquring out the specifics of when and why to run it is the hard part and most guys in the "know" probably aren't going to tell you.

I have always thought the j-bar/straight bar are joined at the hip to the right front spring. When one goes to a shorter bar or puts more angle in the bar within reason, doesn't it simply make the car rotate around the right front spring sooner in the corner? I never translated a straight bar to forward bite and that don't make sense to me. I don't run a straight bar so all this is new to me and I am learning.

I have always been told that a straight bar would give more bite of the corner then the j-bar but i have always been told that the longer the j-bar was the more sidebite you had but less bite you had off the corner.As far front spring it seems to with a short bar you might need to the soften the front spring .I would like to hear some more on this subject.