Thread: GRT lift bar

Default GRT lift bar

Has anybody tried or have any input on their new lift bar that attaches to both sides of the center section ? Pros/Cons ?

Theoretically, it moves the pressure point on the rear-end from the (STD single sided torque arm) right hand side of bell to half way between the double side torque arms mounts (center of the center-section). This will apply more bias to the LR tire then the STD torque arm.

I don't know anyone that has tried it or seen anybody with a GRT that had it on their car. I know the arm they had years ago that attached to the left side of the bell only, would make the car really tight on the throttle (bad throttle push). This should act somewhat in between the two. I really don't see a lot of need for this unless you race on an extremely slick surface all the time, you can generally make these cars way too tight on the throttle with out this.

I subscribe to a different theory. There may be another thread that debates this subject.

I theorize that the lift bar mounting location on the axle is irrelevant and only the location of the front mount is important. I would suggest that a lift bar mounted on both sides of the center section is for strength reasons only. In this case the lift bar would not use a front support bar that goes from front end of the bar to the right side frame. With this setup the front mounting point (for the 5th coil would maintain the same distance to the right and left tire during body roll and rear steer. When the car rolls the lift point moves to the right and the 5th coil will have a different angle.

When using the front support bar and a lift bar mounted with two heim joints, the 5th coil remains vertical as the coil mounting point becomes closer to the left tire during roll. This action loads the left rear more when under power.

I found it. http://www.dirtracingforum.com/showthread.php?t=1860 Be careful, this thread could give you a headache. Don't be afraid to ask question and argue, it's the only way I can get someone to teach me something.

Hey spinner, whats up!

About the other post: I have in fact tested this since that post and I can tell you with out a doubt that the front end location of the torque does NOT show any real change in the car. The Left to right mounting at the rear-end however DOES a pretty fair amount. Just like what I said in that post (Didn't re-read it going off memory).

I won't argue the change is enough to be "real". But I will argue that it is there. And that the location of the axle mount does not change it. Could you tell me how you tested it? I have a new bottle of Tylenol.

Real live testing! I moved the 5th coil end to the left and right (mostly right because of drive shaft) maybe left 3/4" and right as much as 2" nobody (3 drivers - 3 separate occasions) was sure they felt a difference. Moving on the rear end left or right: All three drivers noticed a tightening/loosening effect (depending on which way it was moved) that follows my theory as to left should tighten and right will loosen.

Well you got me there. I could never get two drivers to agree on a felt change.

It's how you go about it (not telling). Too many people/drivers get a preconceived notion of what an adjustment does, like a placebo pill. The 5th coil end, most couldn't say tighter/looser or any change at all (they all him hawwed around and never really can to a conclusion). However I could probably by talking to them convince all three one way or another. It's easy to plant things in their heads that can sway them one way or another.

Some times they are flat wrong as to what they felt. Like they thought something tightened entry, but if you show them video of before and after you will see the wheels turns significantly more right getting into the corner after the adjustment. Watching the car and driver input goes hand in hand, sometimes the driver is wrong and others the person watching the car (didn't see something or just missed it).