Thread: Front roll center

Default Front roll center

Where is the "ideal" location for the front roll center to be at on a open wheel modified with the small hard tires? I have always heard about 3-4" up and about 3-4" right but never knew what is the best place to put it. I know this is a late model forum but guys like billet seem to know alot about alot so i figured i would ask.

There is no "IDEAL" place! it will vary do driver preference, type of set-up your running, and the back half of the car.

However that is a typical good starting spot and work from there.

Should a person make it so the upper a arm mounts are adjustable up and down so you can play with different roll centers or just set it at the standard settings and not mess with it? I mapped out my front end on a free roll center calculator and came up with 3" up and 9" to the right but was not sure how accurate the program was so I purchased the performance trends program today and going to start messing with it tomorrow and double check the front end with it. It seems with the front end the way it is right now we have to run about 100 to 150 lb stiffer right front than most others do to get the same affect.

Default roll

If your roll center is that far toward the right at static then where is it during roll you should be able to run less right front spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Mason5 View Post
    If your roll center is that far toward the right at static then where is it during roll you should be able to run less right front spring.
    Correct! But remember front COG will effect roll also. Just because a rollcenter is more left or down doesn't mean it will roll more then another car, just more on car with the same everything else but the rollcenter.

Yes 3-4" above ground is where you want your roll center. Make you upper mounts adjustable and also get some adjustable ball joints from Coleman. They've got 1/4" spacers that can be moved along the ball joint stud to alter your roll center. Work great.