Thread: Roll Center Computer program

Default Roll Center Computer program

What is the best computer program to map out the front roll center of a DLM. I would like to map out our GRT and see what we have just out of curiousity.

Just about any of them will get the job done. The hardest part is getting accurate measurements off the chassis unless you have a good flat floor or some type of surface table.

Which program you want or need is dependent on how much you want to get into it. The cheaper or free ones will only figure static and the higher cost ones will allow you to see movement during drive or bodyroll.

so if I wanted to check the movement during body roll, what program would u use?

I would like to add my 2 cents if I may. I have 2 roll center programs. I don't know how or why, but if i enter the same measurements in both programs I get different results. After using them for several seasons I found us (as a team) using the results to tune the race car. We became so focused on what those programs were telling us we were'nt tuning the car properly. Therefore, this is my opinion that these programs are usefull if you are the chassis builder or you desire to start building chassis. In the hands of the average racer they are tool that could get you way out to lunch on your cars handling. If you have a Rocket, Masters, Rayburn, Swartz, or whatever learn your brand of car and tune from that, you will save a lot of un-needed headaches.

Quote Originally Posted by No Rookie View Post
    I would like to add my 2 cents if I may. I have 2 roll center programs. I don't know how or why, but if i enter the same measurements in both programs I get different results. After using them for several seasons I found us (as a team) using the results to tune the race car. We became so focused on what those programs were telling us we were'nt tuning the car properly. Therefore, this is my opinion that these programs are usefull if you are the chassis builder or you desire to start building chassis. In the hands of the average racer they are tool that could get you way out to lunch on your cars handling. If you have a Rocket, Masters, Rayburn, Swartz, or whatever learn your brand of car and tune from that, you will save a lot of un-needed headaches.
    I'd agree with that! Also theory might say moving it here should do one thing but you may find it does another on Dirt. It's hard to say where is correct, say 3" left and 4" up may work well with the set-ups you typically use. But if you move it 6" left and 2" up may make you slower, however with another type of set-up you may be the same speed and the old front end and older set-ups. Which one is correct?

I do most of this in CAD, I'll have to see what program it is that I use. I'll post it later.

Try one of these 2:
    Rollcenter Plus about 20.00 bucks
    Performance trends about 80.00 bucks

I don't have these as I do it in CAD most of the time but had a free one that just does static roll centers. It's not on this new computer so I don't have it anymore to tell you what it was.

Both of those 2 do roll also. The rollcenter plus does the basic same as the higher dollar one but just a little easier to use but probably not worth the extra cash. (Info came from "shocks" as he has both.)