Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rocket set up

Default Rocket set up

I had a GRT that I drove extremely straight and won alot of races with. I bought a new Rocket (black 2") and have been struggling. If I tried to drive my GRT too sideways it would be no good, so I got it to roll through(without being too tight) and drive off straight without busting the tires loose and we were good.
    The Rocket doesn't seem to care if I drive off sideways or straight (not as much differnce in forward bite.) We have had some decent finishes at a really competitive track, but I don't like it. The only way this car works is make it too tight, drive it too sideways, and that causes me to make too many mistakes and is still not fast enough. This just seems to be the natural tendency of the car, because we have made a ton of set-up changes and come up with same thing. I can tell you that wedge, shocks, springs, bar locations, drop on lr, are not the fix. Should I get the front end cut off and get a blue one welded on? Maybe this car doesn't suit my driving style?

Just my opinion, the Blue front end is the one you need.

Kinda having similar issues, and my driver likes to roll thru.

Seems like the black front end only likes track that you can drive in hard and pivot and go.

Just my observations.

Krom.

Could someone tell me what the difference is between the blue and the black front end. Also, is there a difference in the rear bars?

I agree 100% on the car liking tracks where you carry alot of momentum and driving it how you said. The slower the corner speed is, the worse we are. Any body want to buy an 08 rocket frame? It has about 12 races on it. Never been wrecked.

The blue front end is essentially a rayburn front end. There is no difference as far as the rear of the car goes.

What would you be asking for the 08 frame???? And where are you located?

Smile Black Front End

I think you guys are giving up a little too easy on the Black Front End..
    I have a late '03 Rocket,with the Black Front End and it drives great...It works good on a wet,tacky track and a dry,slicked-over surface...

I owe most of the success to RocketBonehead and Billetbirdcage...These by far are some of the sharpest guys on the forum and in Dirt Late Model Racing..

I am using some of Billet's aluminum front end stuff and it is working great..He has some great ideas about how the car should steer and counter-steer..

RocketBonehead is a master at working on a Rocket chassis..I have spent countless hours bothering him and asking him questions and he always takes the time to help...

Before you guys give up,or sell a chassis,give these two great men a chance to help you sort out any handling issues..

Thanks everybody. Rocketbonehead or Billetbirdcage can I give you a call, because it would be like writing a book to list all the things we've been trying. We went testing one time and changed the car probally 10 times. I havn't raced this car with the same set-up twice. I am not stuck in my ways and would be willing to take advise.
    If I sell the car I would like to get a fair price. I need to think about it. My other option would be to get it clipped and I'm not sure what that costs.
    I'm just starting to loose hope, but maybe someone can help. thanks

Western Pennsylvania

http://www.dirtracingforum.com/showthread.php?t=3244

This thread will tell you how to get rocketbonehead.

Quote Originally Posted by ccc2253 View Post
    I had a GRT that I drove extremely straight and won alot of races with. I bought a new Rocket (black 2") and have been struggling. If I tried to drive my GRT too sideways it would be no good, so I got it to roll through(without being too tight) and drive off straight without busting the tires loose and we were good.
    The Rocket doesn't seem to care if I drive off sideways or straight (not as much differnce in forward bite.) We have had some decent finishes at a really competitive track, but I don't like it. The only way this car works is make it too tight, drive it too sideways, and that causes me to make too many mistakes and is still not fast enough. This just seems to be the natural tendency of the car, because we have made a ton of set-up changes and come up with same thing. I can tell you that wedge, shocks, springs, bar locations, drop on lr, are not the fix. Should I get the front end cut off and get a blue one welded on? Maybe this car doesn't suit my driving style?

That's reasonably common! If you take a look back and look at some drivers that have gone to a rocket, they are either fairly fast from the get-go or they struggle. If they don't figure it out in a couple of races, they usually never do. The only exception to this general rule is Dale McDowel, it took him about 3 or 4 months before he got back up to speed. It's just a different driving style and things just don't work like they do on some other cars. I know Dale and Shane about pulled their hair out for those several months before they finally started getting there. Dale is still probably the person that drives a Rocket the straightest of everyone out there and he made it work for him. Moral of the story: You're either going to be good in one or stink in one as there isn't a whole lot of in between. It shouldn't be this way but that is a definent trend as far as I see. RB may disagree with this statement but I definently see this trend.

I also don't think the blue front end will help you that much (could be wrong). While it may turn better, I feel it isn't as good in the slick as the black front end (again my opinion).

You might have someone drive it that is used to a rocket and make sure there just isn't something wrong with the car. Sometimes you just get a frame/car that flat won't work.
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 07-13-2008 at 02:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast