Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: J-bar

Default J-bar

Has anyone tried switching from the J-bar to the short straight bar? I am curious to see how this will work and what i can expect from the car? A competitor at the race track raised is J-bar all the way up on the pinion side,set it level on the chassis side and he was very fast....If i switch to the short bar,how much rake should i maintain? Any thoughts on this?

I've done this before with my modified and it worked great on a short slick tight cornered 1/4mile track. Got great side/forward bite from the middle on out. If I remember right I had about 2" of rake in it.

However, I'm not sure I'd try this in a latemodel. It will likely get pretty hairy real quick. Might work good for really slick conditions????

Also, the shorty bar was best when I was by myself on the track. Not really "traffic friendly".

I did it on a 2000 masters and it was bad. Way to much side bite and throttle tight no matter what i did. It probably didnt help that the track I was on rubbered up and was hammer down. (Baton Rouge LA)

Quote Originally Posted by pinionangle View Post
    I did it on a 2000 masters and it was bad. Way to much side bite and throttle tight no matter what i did. It probably didnt help that the track I was on rubbered up and was hammer down. (Baton Rouge LA)
    I been to Baton Rouge and while I never tried a straight bar there, it wouldn't be a track that I would think about it. It just doesn't have the right shape or conditions that I think it would work real well there anyways.

A straight bar is usually a hero or zero deal, your either real good or really junk. It works well for tight cornered drag race type tracks (all thought came be used on alot of tracks - just not my preference). If you are out of the gas a fair amount of time on entry the car will be loose going in, but once on the throttle you will have a ton of drive off.

The car will rotate well with a straight bar but will lack side bite when off the throttle.

A basic starting spot for a straight bar will depend on lenght, since a Rocket has the j-bar on the outside of the tubing instead of inside (like a GRT 19.25 j-bar and 17.5 straight) your straght bar is going to be shorter in relation to the j-bar then some other car which will make it more radical. I'm not sure what a straight would be on a rocket (guessing 15.5 or so) so you may want to be more concervitive then what I'm posting.

Set the pinion around a 1/2" to 1" above the pinion and the frame side around 7" up, again that is a base for a straight bar around 17.5" long.

Just a question for Billett, don't you think the j-bar/straight bar is just how quick the car gets on the right front........like it is joined at the hip together, the right front spring and the centering device? I use the straight bar as a crutch when nothing else works and it makes my cars react like I went to a softer right front spring.

Yes, kind of maybe. I didn't fully understand what you said!

Alot of times the more j-bar rake you have the stiffer the RF will be and vice versa. Don't have a clue as to if this is the same with a MOD!

I was just trying to get you to comment on a straight bar as I read the other day somewhere that you felt a straight bar done something different than a j-bar on entry, but you didn't say what. I feel like it rotates the car quicker upon entry to the corner than a j-bar would. Maybe I dreamed this.

Yes, a left side bar will be looser going into the corner by far as compaired to a j-bar mounted on the right side of the pinion.

Alot of people miss diagnos a left side panhard bar as giving more side bite (I hear alot of Mod guys say they have more side bite with a left bar). A left side bar will load the left tire more thus loosening entry if you out of the gas/engine braking. I feel alot of people say this when in fact it allows the car to rotate quickly upon getting out of the car and back on it quickly but since it rotated more in the middle they don't notice a late tight entry or that it pushes accross the middle. That may not be real clear! Since the car turned more and easier in the middle and they can get back into the gas quicker they think they have more side bite. This just makes the car looser (out of throttle) on entry and rotates the car so they are pointed in the right direction when they get into the gas.

As I said, I run a j-bar and I think it is faster. But, how does a left mounted bar load the left? Does it push down on that side of the pinion and if so, does a j-bar push down on the right? Or am I missing it totally?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast