Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Dry Slick Setup

Default Interesting Dry Slick Setup

Here's what Masters told a good friend of my driver to put on for sat. night.
    RF-275
    LF-550
    RR-225
    LR-400
    55%-R, 54.5%-L, 120 Lbs LR, standard Masters dry slick shock package. Supposedly Lanigan had it on his Rocket when he won the WOO show where we run. A couple of the Rocket cars tried it on sat. night. I've never heard of that light a RF spring. We're bottoming the RF shock with a 400 on our Masters. Just wanted to see what everyone else thought about this.

Quote Originally Posted by bullittwrench View Post
    Here's what Masters told a good friend of my driver to put on for sat. night.
    RF-275
    LF-550
    RR-225
    LR-400
    55%-R, 54.5%-L, 120 Lbs LR, standard Masters dry slick shock package. Supposedly Lanigan had it on his Rocket when he won the WOO show where we run. A couple of the Rocket cars tried it on sat. night. I've never heard of that light a RF spring. We're bottoming the RF shock with a 400 on our Masters. Just wanted to see what everyone else thought about this.

Rocket guys have been playing with the 275 RF for the last year or so (that I am aware of). Nothing terribly new there, and no real secret as to why they're doing it. Rocket's front springs are a bit closer to vertical than a MB (if memory serves me correct), so that is why I think you guys generally need a stiffer RF. Most MB guys I deal with are running 400 to 450.

Now, a 400 LR, on the hook, seems down right wrong to me... unless it was the heaviest gumbo track you've ever seen. Call me a bonehead, but I don't see the benefit of that unless they're trying to hold the LR up. I guess it could work if you could get the car up on the bars.

RB

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Bonehead View Post

Now, a 400 LR, on the hook, seems down right wrong to me... unless it was the heaviest gumbo track you've ever seen. Call me a bonehead, but I don't see the benefit of that unless they're trying to hold the LR up. I guess it could work if you could get the car up on the bars.

RB
    Probably there to make it turn going in with NO RF spring and should actually hold the LR down somewhat when on the throttle. Looks more like a momentum deal to me, but then again I'm a bonehead most of the time also.

A 400 on the LR is not as stiff as you think, especially if you have a lot of spread in the bars. It will keep the LR more on the spring as opposed to letting it get on the bars. It will, however, make the car a lot looser on entry, and I suspect the 275 RF counters that by tightening that back up. Since the LR won't raise as much, the car won't lay as hard on the RF anyway.

by the way, you can get the same effect on the LR by running a 225 spring on the front of the birdcage.

ok but for dry slick?

Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    A 400 on the LR is not as stiff as you think, especially if you have a lot of spread in the bars. It will keep the LR more on the spring as opposed to letting it get on the bars. It will, however, make the car a lot looser on entry, and I suspect the 275 RF counters that by tightening that back up. Since the LR won't raise as much, the car won't lay as hard on the RF anyway.

by the way, you can get the same effect on the LR by running a 225 spring on the front of the birdcage.

Any car will be significantly freer on corner entry, and on exit, by floating the LR spring in front, regardless of rate (if moving from the hook). Now, would I ever do that? Probably not. Would I ever do it for the slick? Not on your life. I, nor the teams I work with, have money to throw away like that.

RB

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    Probably there to make it turn going in with NO RF spring and should actually hold the LR down somewhat when on the throttle. Looks more like a momentum deal to me, but then again I'm a bonehead most of the time also.

I see where you're going with that Billet. What I was refering to about "holding the car up" was on corner entry (helping to force it on the RF to get it to cut). I too think it would have to be a momentum deal as I don't think the traction with that LR spring would be as good as it could be with the softer stuff.

RB

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Bonehead View Post
    Any car will be significantly freer on corner entry, and on exit, by floating the LR spring in front, regardless of rate (if moving from the hook). Now, would I ever do that? Probably not. Would I ever do it for the slick? Not on your life. I, nor the teams I work with, have money to throw away like that.

RB
    RB, I agree with you. You and your buddies should stay on-the-hook. And please don't deviate from your 225 or 250 spring there. It sounds like you have a set-up for life.

Good Luck Yall!

Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    RB, I agree with you. You and your buddies should stay on-the-hook. And please don't deviate from your 225 or 250 spring there. It sounds like you have a set-up for life.

Good Luck Yall!

Who said I was running a 225 or 250? Heck, I haven't had either of those in the car in almost 2 1/2 years... Setup for life? Is there such a thing? Heck, I guess I'm stupid because I always thought a guy started off with a balanced neutral setup and gave the car what it needed to go fast... but hey, like I've said before, I am a bonehead so maybe things have changed and someone forgot to clue me in. Damn it; I hate it when that happens...

RB

Does one run the same frame heights with this package and does the hiking up the left side frame heights work with this package?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast