Thread: Ohlins Shocks

Default Ohlins Shocks

Thinking about making the switch to Ohlins shocks. What type of Valving/Shocks are people running on a 07' Mastersbilt?

Would you also buy a Ohlins Dummy, or the 5th Coil Shock. Currently just running a Afco Dummy (no oil, just to hold the spring behind) and a Carrera 5th coil shock.

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome83 View Post
    Thinking about making the switch to Ohlins shocks. What type of Valving/Shocks are people running on a 07' Mastersbilt?

Would you also buy a Ohlins Dummy, or the 5th Coil Shock. Currently just running a Afco Dummy (no oil, just to hold the spring behind) and a Carrera 5th coil shock.

If you're going to buy Ohlins, spend the money right and get the entire 6 shock package (4 corners, LRF, and 5th coil). Getting them thru Ohlins USA (or Rocket for example), you can get either the Series 4 or Series 5 valvings and they will work well for you (Series 5 is geared a little more towards slick tracks and they come with less pressure).

There are other people doing Ohlins stuff, but I haven't had their stuff on the dyno to see what they're running.

RB

Us guys here in the south have found that we don't like a gas shock on the LRF...Also I don't run the 5th coil ohlin either..So can't comment on that, but I strongly disagree with the gas LRF shock,being worth the money

If you want the best setup for Ohlins contact Jerry Link at SHY Racing 615-225-6022

Quote Originally Posted by bizkit View Post
    Us guys here in the south have found that we don't like a gas shock on the LRF...Also I don't run the 5th coil ohlin either..So can't comment on that, but I strongly disagree with the gas LRF shock,being worth the money

I guess everyone likes different stuff (as I do think the LRF is good). We've been on some stupid slick stuff, and stuff similar to the Moon, and don't really have an issue with losing forward traction or keeping the car from getting up.

As for the 5th coil, we tested it a couple of years ago vs running a twin-tube afco and it definitely seemed to hold the bite in the car longer on entry (and it's also rebound adjustible). 5 clicks either way made a noticable difference to us.

Biz, check your email... Got a few things that may help you with that LRF deal...

RB

What do you think about Penske Shocks? They are another option that i am exploring. Good, Bad?

Thanks

I knew only one guy that ran Penske's about 5 or 6 years ago and he liked them, but that was really before mono-tube gas shocks have become the rage.

The only problem, I would see in them (I'm sure they are a good product) would be the help you might be able to get or lack off. There isn't alot of guys running them as compaired to Ohlin's or M2's that you could go to for some help. I'm not sure how much R&D penske puts into there Dirt stuff, so all of this is a guess.

If I had to pick, I'd go with M2's or Ohlin's if your looking for a adjustable gas shock.

The only reason why i'm considering Penske's, is for the support from the guy we bought the car from. He run's them and does well. Since we don't have much knowledge with DA i'm trying to get the best support i can.

I just don't want to buy a set and find out that they aren't good. Since its such a big investment. I know that He runs well on them but who else does or why people like them or dislike them.

Thanks

I am unfamilar with Penske's and don't even know what they have available. Since you have someone that is willing to help you with the penske's that opens up an avenue that might not be there for other people.

You shouldn't have too hard a time finding someone to help with the other shocks, so you are likely even on the help parts.

Another thing to consider would be if you just hate the shocks and wish to sell them. I would likely be easier to sell a more popular shock and would likely have a higher resell value then the Penske's.

Don't take this a trying to talk you out of them by any means, just pointing out what I can when I don;t know anything about those shocks.

You might read these:

http://dirtracingforum.com/showthread.php?t=1123
    http://dirtracingforum.com/showthread.php?t=1165
    ***http://dirtracingforum.com/showthread.php?t=1149 you might try ScottyRocket or Locknut since they seems to have some penske experience.

For the Penske stuff, you will more than likely end up at Penske Midwest and Bob McDowell, he's the guy i went too when we needed help with out Penske stuff. He knows what's up and stays up on the dirt stuff...kind of the reason they moved him down there from here in Michigan.

Bob has a lot of good ideas and may already have new stuff since i talked with him last. Since he moved, we switched to another brand which i valve myself.

I'm not saying that any particular brand is the best, find the people that are the experts with the brand you are looking at and see what kind of help they can be. Keep in mind that most guys aren't there with you so you will need to have good feedback from your driver or be able to provide feedback as the driver.

I consider cost as another factor in my decidsions, however, this also goes along with where your program is...IE. Rookie or Veteran...aka, crashes alot or very little. Right now i have a pretty new driver in the top 5 in UMP rookie points and top 5 in the UMP north division on what most would consider pretty "cheap" shocks, so you're doing the right thing and doing the homework.

This should be the order you look at when buying any new equipment....
    1. Function: is there an advantage and how much of one.
    2. Support: if i get lost on using it, can i call someone to set me straight
    3. Cost: is the extra cost worth the additional advantage. How much are parts? Am i going to do it myself?